vendredi, décembre 03, 2004

Aspiration Statement

Aspiration Statement

Expectations:
Part of the nervousness and excitement while waiting for departure comes from the uncertainty. The phrase "hope for the best, expect the worst” has been running through my mind. I have thus developed certain expectations to prepare myself for challenges that lie ahead. I expect to be confronted with situations that will test me physically, emotionally, and intellectually. Through these tests I will discover many personal strengths and weaknesses of which I was previously unaware. I am prepared for countlessopportunities to practice patience and tolerance during a mutually beneficial cultural exchange. Gandhi pointed out the power in expectation when he said:

If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.

Therefore as I learn more about the culture and my specific assignment I will set upon myself high expectations. My expectations may be idealistic, but they are grounded in reality; however, the specifics will not become completely clear until I know more about my village and assignment. I am aware that my impact on the community may not be very visible. I am like a sower planting seeds within the hearts and minds of the people in hopes that they will flourish. I understand that I have limited control in making these grow, so I will focus my expectations on things that I can control. I will put all my effort into training (learning the skills and language necessary) and day- to-day life to learn what is needed to effect a positive change. I will assess my community’s needs and develop secondary projects if needed. After my service I plan to use the knowledge gained in all areas of my life. I expect my service with the Peace Corps to be one of the most influential experiences of my life.
Strategies:
I intend to study hard and learn all the information Peace Corps Training will provide. I realize that language acquisition is intrinsic not only to learning and conforming to social norms, but also to being able to respond to the needs of the community. Therefore, I intend to use English only when necessary during the first three months. I also will spend time learning from my family by getting involved with daily activities as often as time allows. Once at my post I will work on developing friendships with neighbors, farmers, and families and find a cultural interpreter. Through these friendships I will better understand the needs of the locals and how to respect the elders and traditions while facilitating change. In time I will be able to find people who are willing to work with myself and my counter part to get things done. Change will be initiated by the locals and I will act as a facilitator. I will give people who are willing the tools to continue progress in their village. I believe the most important thing in adapting to a new culture is having an open heart and mind. I look at culture as a neurological map of societal norms that tells us when person does A, it means B. But A does not always mean B, especially in other cultures. This means I must be able to question my own beliefs and the foundation on which they were formed. This will help me to understand and accept that A can sometimes mean X.
Personal and Professional Goals:
* Learn and teach agro-forestry methods for sustainable development that meet the needs of my community
* Become fluent or somewhat fluent in French
* Strive to function in the local language
* Develop numerous friendships with Guineans and engage in a cultural exchange that will deepen our understanding of each other
* Empower locals to better their lives as they see fit
* Take everything I will have learned through the Peace Corps experience to enrich those whom I meet in the US.
* Use experience while forming a non-profit to create social change at home.
*Work for foreign services

2 Comments:

At 15 janvier 2005 à 11:03, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hello! I found your journal on peacecorps2 yahoo groups. I saw that you were in Boulder and wondered if you were a Buff. I am :o)
I wonder how many of us there have been in the PC...

Anywho, hope africa is treating you well,

meggan

eastern europe 05

 
At 16 janvier 2005 à 14:20, Blogger rizleymelinda said...

Hey thanks for the post...There's actually another guy with me that went to CUB in my training group. I think there's quite a few

Where are you in Easern Europe? Good luck with everything

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home