mercredi, mars 09, 2005

Site Visit

Site Visit has gone rather smoothly. I had Lindsay a Health Volunteer take me around. We went and visited her site first across the Niger River. The next day went to mine. I have yet to meet any of the important people in my village because they were all gone (go figure). But I got to see my hut, meet my family, and meet the school director. EVeryone is really excited to have a new volunteer. I wasn't greeted with a big ceromony like some others, but I am the 3rd volunteer in my site. Hopefully I'll be able to get pictures up.

I live in a small mud hut...FYI: THIS MAY BE WHAT EVERYONE THINKS ABOUT WHEN THEY THINK OF PEACE CORPS, BUT IT'S NOT!! Even in Guinea most PCV (peace corps volunteers) are living in houses. There is of course no electricity or running water in my village. I've already adapted to not having running water and I think not haing electricity is great. Everytime the power goes out in my town during training I absolutely love it because you can see sooo many stars.

My village seems to be pretty big with 2 schools (??) and a health center. The Malinke villages are very densly populated, unlike what I'm used to with the Susu. The Susu and the Peuhl (can't spell) both tend to have large concessions and room in between, but the Malinke villages have huts practically stacked ontop of eachother.

That's all I can write for now. Now I'll work on getting those photos up.